Sunday, October 5, 2014

Sunday Spotlight

Each Sunday, I spot light a different character from the book She Waited. In today's Spot Light, we have Captain Brendan, son of Brian, as our guest. Please help me welcome this... intriguing character.

DK: Hello and welcome to you. I understand you're a Captain of a ship?

B: I was, once, long ago. I've not been a Captain now in... many years.

DK: Did you find a different job then?

B: Nay, my ship was... lost.

DK: Lost how?

B: In a storm. I prefer, lass, not to speak of it.

DK: Um, all right. Tell us a bit about yourself, Captain.

B: Brendan, please, lass. I'm but a simple man, no titles please.

DK: I hear a bit of an accent in your tone. British?

B: Never! I be Irish, lass, and proud of it.

DK: I see. How did an Irish Sea Captain end up in this land?

B: Quite by mistake, let me assure ye lass of that. I be here not by any choosing of me own. But of broken promises and of curses and such.

DK: Curses? Broken promises? Could you please elaborate?

B: Aye. Twice a battle between two old--

*Deep BOOM of thunder rents through the air, shaking the very floor*

DK: Sounds like a storm is coming.

B: Indeed there is, lass. Indeed. Please excuse me, I've matters to attend.

DK: Thank you for joining us today. We've researched long and hard to find a picture of Captain Brendan's ship, and it's attached below, along with a somewhat cryptic photo of the Captain himself.
Please join us again next week.


 And an Excerpt, of Brendan from She Waited:



Finally he had found his way back home. At last. His beloved Eire. Only it was no more. He stood on the hill where he had stood so many times before. He looked over the land he had watched so many times before. He had taken this all for granted, he thought. Believed it would always be here, never change.
But it had.
He fell to his knees, weeping unashamed. He had lost everything. His friends, his family, his home. His Brianna. Oh Great Goddess, his Brianna. And he had no one to blame but himself. No one at all.
“So what shall you do now, Brendan, son of Brain?”
He looked up into the Great Goddess’ eyes. He swallowed, took a few deep breaths. “I owe to you a debt, my Goddess. And now I’ve a score to settle too, for taking my Brianna.”
“Ouch, now, Brendan, you did that to yourself. ‘Tis not me to blame for what you did. And to correct it, you know what you must do.”
“Then why am I here? Why am I not in the land where she is and where I made the great error?”





No comments:

Post a Comment